Monday, July 24, 2006

#8- The Christian & Giving

OK, time for a slightly more controversial post ;-)

If you walk into the sanctuary at about any American church, when it comes time for the offering, what do you hear? You hear the pastor mention something about the giving of tithes. We're essentially taught that we are to give God 10% of our earnings- that's the way a lot of churches teach giving. However, it's my conviction that this is not the proper model for Christians to use in giving. Let me attempt to explain this and also what the proper model for giving is.

The tithe originated during the Old Covenant era. The tithe was one of several giving requirments imposed on Israelites by God. God promised to bless them if they would bring their tithes and offerings to Him (Malachi 3). But, we as Christians, are no longer under the Old Covenant. We are under the New Covenant brought about by Christ. So, instead of looking to OT law, we should look to the teaching of the NT to establish a model for Christian giving. That's not to say that the OT isn't relevant for us in Christian living. But, we need to understand that OT law was the conditions of the covenant between God and Israel, not the covenant between God and His new covenant church. Therefore, things like tithing and other parts of the OT law, which applied to Israel, don't apply to Christians. For more on

That's why God gave us 2 Corinthians 8 & 9. This establishes the model of sowing generously- we decide in our hearts before God what to give and give joyfully. For some this may be 10%, but I would dare say for most all American believers it needs to be higher. We live in a society so much more prosperous than ancient Israel, so I think 10% is inadequate. But, that's ultimately up to you and God as you pray about what your specific amount of giving should be.

Check out 2 Corinthians 8 & 9, pray over that and let me know what you think.

-JRO

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, tithing. Lovely subject. I grew up in the Episcopal church and I was taught about the 10% tithing. I'm thankful that my parents did teach me about giving, and I don't think that I'm scarred for learning the 10% rule when I was young. It taught me a very important lesson; a lesson that the money I earned was not my money, it was God's money. These days, though, I agree that giving should come from the heart and it should be prayerfully considered, not figured out with a calculator. Verses 10-12 in Chapter 8 talk about the "means" of giving and that's such a critical issue in today's church. So many people are consumed with how much they give and sometimes get a little prideful in giving. I mean, don't you feel a little better when you put that money in the plate...do you feel like you look better to those around you? I know I have...and maybe that's just me. On the flip side, rarely do I get money and immediately decide how much I want to set aside for God. That's something that I struggle with and I need to change.
It was interesting looking at vs 13-14 in Chapter 8...to me, it seemed like we should help each other out. When I have a lot, I should help those in need. When they are in plenty, they will selflessly help me if I am in need. If only that was the way the world actually worked.....
Also, Jamie: what is your take on vs. 21 in that same chapter (the part about "in the eyes of men")

Orr & Associates said...

Maggie- Thanks for the comments. That's a good point on the means of giving; it makes me think of that parable Jesus gave about the woman who gives all she has versus the rich guy who gives more than she does. Obviously, one who makes $50,000 a year is in a position to give more (both amount and percentage wise) than someone making $15,000 a year.

I agree with your thoughts on 13 & 14... that is the way we as believers should operate. But we don't- look at the disparity between one church with great financial needs and another with a parking lot full of nice cars. It doesn't seem like we collectively as the Body are doing a very good job of this.

I think to get what the meaning of verse 21 is, we need to go back to the couple preceeding verses. Paul is making the point about how Titus (and some others) will be taking the gift. I think what he is saying here is that they're being careful to make sure that no one has any room to raise questions about how they've handled that money. That way, they'll be right before God and also other men won't have grounds to accuse them of mishandling the money. Does that sound on target to you?

Anonymous said...

I see what you're saying about 21, and I agree. There was something I forgot to add to my first comment. Do we only apply this teaching to financial giving? I have always felt that we should give our time and our services, as well. I'm not sure if this passage would directly support giving your time and whatnot, but what better way to serve God and show His love to others than by giving up your own "personal time" to help others. I once tutored people in a math class and they all commented that there was something different about me. God uses those times you serve and the money you give to pull people towards Him.