Monday, August 07, 2006

Blogs in the news again

In case you haven't been following the news lately, bloggers have once again uncovered another scandal at a major news outlet. Two different blogs discovered Reuters photos that had been doctored by one freelance photographer (link).

This brings back memories of the whole Rathergate ordeal during the 2004 presidential election and I think really says something about interesting some of the new trends in the world. Who could have imagined a few years ago how much power individual people with blogs would have? The whole concept of a couple of individuals uncovering big problems in major news outlets really does show how much the playing field has been leveled in this economy (sounds like that's right out of The World is Flat).

I doubt my blog will ever have the following that some of those do, but it is cool to think about how many people out there could possibly be influenced by my blog in some way, shape, or form. It definitely does seem like we as individuals do have a lot more power these days to voice our opinions to the world, partner with people all over the world, etc. As a Christian, I hope that through my blog (whether I'm writing about theology or Windows Vista), I could be doing my job as an ambassador for God and influencing people in that way. After all, as much as I enjoy talking about computers, politics, etc., nothing has the significance of whether or not someone lives this life and the next in a relationship with God. Everything else is all details... so I'm hoping to use what little influence I have here for a purpose. I suppose I could slightly alter a John Piper quote and say, "Don't waste your blog."

-JRO

No comments: