Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Working Backwards

I was reading a book recently and the author suggested the idea of living life based on who would be crying at your funeral. Family, friends, close associates, etc. will be there- those people whose lives you've impacted in one way or another. Often times, those we really try to please or impress won't give a flip when we die. And, all of the toys we've accumulated throughout life will be divided up and given to other people right after that funeral. So, what is the point in trying to keep up with the neighbors, impress or compete with a coworker, etc. when it won't really matter in the end? Life is a vapor and a lot of what we place so much emphasis on doesn't really matter.

So, this got me thinking about what I'm investing my time and energy in. A favorite quote of mine is: "Life is short, twill soon be past; only those things done for Christ will last." If I'm putting all my energy into running the rat race and living for my own pleasure, then I'm wasting that energy. The things that I'm pouring myself into should have lasting, eternal impact.

In that spirit, I went through and considered what my priorities in life are and I'm now trying to go back through and figure out how the things in my life are helping me live into those. I know that I'll never be perfect and I think I do need some seemingly wasteful time- watching TV and relaxing, chilling with a book, etc. I think relaxation and down time is purposeful and helps in fulfilling your purposes in life.

I guess my point (in a roundabout fashion) is that I realized that there are a lot of goals and priorities I have in life, but if I'm not living today with those in mind, then I risk losing sight of them. A company makes its decisions starting with its mission and vision, then setting goals and working down to the day-to-day stuff. If we lived our lives this way, I think we could be more effective: by knowing our mission and the goals we've set for ourselves, we can keep ourselves in check and make sure our daily activities are keeping in line with these. I don't want to near the end of my life and realize that I've gotten so bogged down in the daily stuff that I haven't really left a lasting eternal impact on the lives of those around me. After I'm gone, no one will care what car I drove or what job I had, but if I see one person in Heaven whose life I impacted, that will matter.

Just some food for thought... probably an area where we all (especially me) need some growth :-)

-JRO

1 comment:

the Orrs said...

I think you do a really good job of setting solid priorities and cultivating your relationships. When you're not teaching at ECU, you spend a lot of time leading and participating in your Bible studies, hanging out with friends, and doing things with me - all very pleasing to God (hehe). I know you've also put off getting your Ph.D. to consider what your long-term goals are and because doing so would take time away from the other things in life you enjoy. I just don't see you as someone who is trying to compete (run the rat race) or impress a lot of people. Except you are at the gym a lot :-)

This is something I've really thougth about lately, too; it's the main reason I changed jobs, so I would have more time to spend with family and friends and also do work that has eternal significance.