Wednesday, June 28, 2006

How radical are we?

This post will be a brief departure from the series that I've been blogging about. But, I have heard this same verse come up in a sermon and book I've been reading lately and it has really struck a chord with me, so I thought I'd pass it along. This is 1 Corinthians 15:19-

If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men.


The point I've heard is this: do our lives as Christians look that much different than the rest of the world that we'd look like fools if there were no Heaven? I'd dare say that for probably the majority of American Christians, the answer is no.

This verse was written by Paul, who chose to embrace a life of great suffering and give up a life as a well-respected, well-to-do member of society so that he could share the hope of the gospel with others. He was hoping in what was to come, which enabled him to look past his present trials and sufferings to see something (or perhaps Someone) who would far outweigh them all. But, how far is that mindset from most American churches? Are we really ready to embrace sacrifice and suffering for the sake of the gospel?

I know this is challenging me to evaluate some things in my life and maybe make some changes. So, something to ponder...

-JRO

No comments: