Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Why I'm not on Myspace

Sometimes I feel left behind... even as a computer guy and MIS professor, I'm not on MySpace. Sure, I'm on AIM, I have a blog, I'm on Facebook and have 7 computers at home, but no MySpace. Actually, one time I did setup a very basic account but have not put a profile out there. So, today, I had a message from someone and thought that maybe I'd put a profile up there in hopes of reconnecting with people from high school and college that I never talk to anymore.

So, I log in to see my messages and here's what I'm greeted with: one ad of a girl in a very sketchy bikini, another with a topless girl using her hands to cover herself up and a message advertising some girl's XXX webcam. So, as a result, the MySpace boycott will continue. In fact, I may even turn off images in my browser, go back, and get rid of the basic account that I do have. This world is full of temptations to lust; I really don't need to look at this crap when I'm trying to enjoy a bit of web surfing. Plus, it bothers me to be in a way endorsing a company that allows junk like that on its pages.

But, I realize that many others have no problem with MySpace. That's great; I don't plan to try to convince others why my conviction is right and yours is wrong. I don't recall finding anywhere in the Bible that says not to go on MySpace. So, file this one under the heading of Christian liberty or freedom in Christ... an area that a lot of folks seem to overlook (I.E. Southern Baptist resolution the other day).

Unfortunately, I guess this means my students will have to stick to Facebook and IM as their means of stalking me... no more MySpace.

-JRO

No comments: