Sunday, June 18, 2006

More convention resolutions...

Well, I was quite happy to hear that our church's stance on homosexuality isn't going to change regardless of what if anything happens with this resolution (see earlier blog post). Basically, the stance is what I hold to be the Biblical position: certainly allow homosexuals and any others living in a sinful lifestyle to come to our church and love them enough to show them Christ and what He has for them. But, the important distinction is at membership- when someone joins a church, they are professing to have a genuine faith in Christ and turn away from sinful lifestyles. So, thankfully, there are still plenty of sound minds out there when it comes to this issue.

On to other convention stuff, though. Apparently, the Southern Baptists have passed a resolution "urging complete abstitence from alcohol." See link for more information. I have a real problem when people try to impose legalistic requirements on others that are not mandated biblically. If I decide to abstain from alcohol because it causes me to struggle or because I think I can be more effective in ministry, then that's great. But, that doesn't give me the right to tell others they should come to that same conclusion. The Bible speaks strongly against drunkeness and acting in a way that causes weaker brothers to stumble. But, nowhere does it mandate that Christians totally abstain from alcohol. It simply falls into the area of believers' freedom (see Romans 14).

John Piper gave a sermon a long time ago at Bethlehem dealing with their stance on it. It is a very interesting take on the issue of drinking. Check it out here. For what it's worth, Piper himself chooses to abstain from alcohol, but opposed a church stance against consumption of alcohol. One particularly good quote:

"Legalism is a more dangerous disease than alcoholism because it doesn't look like one."

I personally choose to drink in moderation at times. I feel as though by exercising self-control I can enjoy consuming alcohol and in doing so glorify God. Now, if I noticed tendencies that would make alcohol an idol, lead to drunkeness, or if I were around a weaker brother, I would certainly choose to abstain. But, I don't in any way try to force my convictions on others. I have some Christian brothers & sisters who share my viewpoint and others who don't. What ultimately matters is that we have a clear conscience before God and are seeking to glorify Him in this (as well as all areas) of life.

-JRO

No comments: